Sunday, May 6, 2007

My Ham Radio Hobby



My hobby is Ham Radio. My callsign is K7NO and I got my first license in 1956. I have a transceiver (transmitter/receiver) in the Motorhome and can enjoy the hobby while travelling.


This shows the radio installed in the RV.


This is a picture of the auto-tuner and the base of the antenna. The Antenna is made from a 33' telescoping fiberglass mast on which I wrapped a wire. The wire comes down and connects to the tuner, giving me a good SWR match on 80-6 Meters.

When travelling, I have the mast dropped down to where it just extends over the top of the RV.

When we are camped, I extend the mast up to the full 33 feet. I have managed to have conversations with other hams all over the US and the world.



This shows the antenna extended with the wire wrapped around the mast




When driving I monitor 2Meter 146.52 and, normally, CB channel 19. When camped, I work whatever bands are open and good.








Patty's hobby is reading. She reads an average3 of 200-250 books a year. I love to read but my eyes don't work as well as they used to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi
i am picking up a class a in a few weeks..will pull cargo trailer for my motorcycle...was thinking of possibly mounting a vertical on the trailer at the point behind the hitch itself, on the framework that goes rearward...then "earth ground" the trailer and run my coax to MH..i would pemanantly attach a small pvc pipe on trailer and just put vertical down it when im parked...
however i would want to be on HF and it wouldnt be practical when underway...do you ever get on HF while moving?? and howabout CW while driving:-))
seriosly, what are your thoughts..thanks gary